EDI in Artistic Planning – Footnotes, Catalyst Resources from the League, About the Lead Author, and Acknowledgements
In this section:
- Structural Racism, Racial Equity Tools
- Intersectionality, Racial Equity Tools
- Racial Equity Tools Glossary, Racial Equity Tools
- Equity in the Center
- Awake to Woke to Work, Equity in the Center
- Racism Defined, Dismantling Racism Works (dRworks)
- 2022 Orchestra Repertoire Report, Institute for Composer Diversity
- Promising Practices: Actions Orchestras Can Take to Make Progress Toward Equity, Catalyst Guide, League of American Orchestras
- Education and Community Engagement resources page, League of American Orchestras
- Making the Case for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Orchestras: A Guide from the League of American Orchestras
- Culture and Community in a Time of Transformation, Culture Track (PDF)
- Black Voices for the Evolution and Culture & Creativity, Culture Track (PDF)
- Conference 2022: Diversifying Audiences with Research and Relevance
- Taki Alsop Conducting Fellowship
- Institute for Composer Diversity Database
- African Diaspora Music Project
- Latin Orchestral Music
- Databases of Repertoire by Underrepresented Composers, League of American Orchestras
- Virginia B. Toulmin Orchestral Commissions Program, League of American Orchestras
Catalyst Resources from the League
In early 2022, the League of American Orchestras published Promising Practices, a Catalyst Guide outlining concrete actions that orchestras can take to support their equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) journey. Catalyst Snapshots, follow-up case studies to Promising Practices, provide a deeper look into the work of orchestras that were identified as making tangible progress towards their EDI goals.
The Catalyst Fund Incubator is a grant program of the League of American Orchestras that empowers member orchestras to create a culture of inclusivity, and ultimately to nurture and sustain the diversity they seek. Orchestras supported by The Catalyst Fund are laboratories for showing what works in building understanding and creating effective EDI practices.
About the Lead Author
Theodore Wiprud is a composer and a consultant in the arts and education, and was the longtime Vice President, Education, at the New York Philharmonic. He has been active in multiple EDI initiatives, including the launch of The Catalyst Fund in 2019.
The Catalyst Fund Incubator, Catalyst Guides, and Catalyst Snapshots are made possible by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation with additional support from the Paul M. Angell Family Foundation.
Additional support for the Guide is provided by the National Endowment for the Arts and by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
Thank you to the Boise Philharmonic, Chicago Sinfonietta, Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, Metropolitan Symphony, California Symphony, Minnesota Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Philadelphia Orchestra, Richmond Symphony, ROCO, San Francisco Symphony, South Dakota Symphony Orchestra, and West Virginia Symphony Orchestra, whose learnings in equity, diversity, and inclusion work inform this Guide.
Lead Author: Theodore Wiprud
Contributing Authors: Karen Yair, Ph.D., Kerrien Suarez, and Patrick Castillo
Reviewers: Blake-Anthony Johnson, Caen Thomason-Redus, Melissa Ngan, Simon Woods, and Vanessa Rose
Content Developer and Producer: Karen Yair, Ph.D.
Creative Director: Rachel Rossos Gallant
Editors: Bob Sandla and Rachel Rossos Gallant
PDF Design: Ginger Dolden
Web Layout: Joanna Bettelheim
Interviewees: Alecia Lawyer, Amy Granger, Anwar Nasir, Aram Demirjian, Beth Kellar-Long, Blake-Anthony Johnson, Brittain Ashford, David Delta Gier, Donato Cabrera, Doris Parent, Gary Zabinski, Jennifer Arnold, Joe Tackett, Jon Lewis, Kari Marshall, Kathryn Knight, Laura Reynolds, Meghan Martineau, Mei-Ann Chen, Norman Ryan, Patrick Castillo, Paul Chihara, Phillippa Cole, Rachel Ford, and Ugochi Onyeukwu
© 2022 League of American Orchestras
Published on November 17, 2022. A Catalyst Guide by the League of American Orchestras.
520 8th Avenue, Suite 2005, New York, NY 10018