About UsIn This Section
The League of American Orchestras leads, supports, and champions America’s orchestras and the vitality of the music they perform. Its diverse membership of more than 1,800 organizations and individuals across North America runs the gamut from world-renowned orchestras to community groups, from summer festivals to student and youth ensembles, from conservatories to libraries, from businesses serving orchestras to individuals who love symphonic music. A national organization dedicated solely to the orchestral experience, the League is a nexus of knowledge and innovation, advocacy, and leadership advancement. Its conferences and events, award-winning Symphony magazine, website, and other publications inform people around the world about orchestral activity and developments. Founded in 1942 and chartered by Congress in 1962, the League links a national network of thousands of instrumentalists, conductors, managers and administrators, board members, volunteers, and business partners.
A thriving future for orchestras and their communities that celebrates creativity, artistry, and inclusion.
To champion the vitality of music and the orchestral experience, support the orchestra community, and lead change boldly.
As an organization and as individuals, we affirm the following commitments in our work together:
- Service: We support our members and those who contribute to the orchestral experience.
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion: We embrace equity, diversity, and inclusion as fundamentals, valuing the richness of difference, centering marginalized voices, and creating a supportive environment for all.
- Advocacy: We champion the orchestral field and tell the story of its impact.
- Leadership: We lead bravely, with transparency, integrity, and authenticity.
- Respect: We welcome divergent views, assuming others’ good intent while considering the impact of our words and actions.
- Creativity: Inspired by the artistry in our field, we strive for innovation and continuous improvement in our programs, practices, and culture.
- Accountability: We set ambitious expectations and we deliver on what we promise.
We work together for a common cause.
Commitments to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
News Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
August 5, 2020
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Banner Photo Credit: Stephanie Berger
Home Page Photo Credit: Grant Park Music Festival