Applications for the 2019 Ford Musician Awards are now closed.
CELEBRATING ORCHESTRA MUSICIANS' INSPIRING COMMUNITY WORK
Orchestra musicians are devoting increased time, effort, and resources to community engagement activities that extend beyond the concert hall. To recognize the commitment of these extraordinary musicians and the impact of their work, the League of American Orchestras seeks nominations and applications for the 2019 Ford Musician Awards for Excellence in Community Service.
Now in its fourth year, the awards program, made possible through the generosity of Ford Motor Company Fund, celebrates and honors professional orchestra musicians who offer exemplary education and community engagement initiatives in their communities.
Musicians can apply by themselves, or an orchestra may apply on the musician’s behalf.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, March 4, 2019 (midnight)
ABOUT THE 2019 AWARDS
- Five musicians will be selected through a competitive application process.
- Each winner will receive a cash award of $2,500, complimentary registration for the League’s National Conference, roundtrip airfare to Nashville, and hotel accommodations.
- The winning musician’s orchestra will receive a grant of $2,500 to support professional development for its roster of musicians.
- One staff member from the orchestra will receive complimentary registration for the League’s National Conference, roundtrip airfare to Nashville, and hotel accommodations.
- Your orchestra must be a League member in good standing. Youth, collegiate, and international orchestras are not eligible.
- The community engagement work you do is performed under the auspices of your orchestra.
- You must be a full-time member of the orchestra, with at least one year’s employment at the time of application. Substitute musicians and conductors are not eligible.
- You have been performing this community engagement work for at least one full calendar year.
- You and a representative from your orchestra must be available to attend the League’s National Conference in Nashville, June 3-5, 2019 to receive the award.
- You agree to participate as a speaker in a community engagement and education session at the National Conference.
- Awardees and their orchestras will produce a 3- to 5-minute video showcasing their work to be presented during the National Conference and to be featured on the Leagues’ website and social media channels.
- A $1,500 honorarium will be provided to assist in the production of this video.
- Examples can be found by visiting our Ford Musician Awards website.
- Past applicants are encouraged to apply again. Previous winners are not eligible.
- We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates.
- Musicians can apply by themselves, or an orchestra may apply on the musician’s behalf.
Recipients of the 2018 Ford Musician Awards for Excellence in Community Service were celebrated at the League's National Conference
Photo Credit: Dan Rest
Deadline: Monday, March 4, 2019 (midnight)
- Complete application form, click here.
The Ford Musician Awards for Excellence in Community Service, a program of the League of American Orchestras, are made possible by Ford Motor Company Fund.