In the continuing effort to provide help to League member orchestras, we would like to offer you this free Financial Health self-assessment tool developed by the Nonprofit Finance Fund. It is a simple worksheet that addresses core areas of nonprofit finance and helps to identify areas of financial strength and weakness.
To access the worksheet, click here.
This valuable resource will help you make a compelling case within your organization for the need to establish an operating reserve.
This toolkit was created to provide a resource to:
- help to make a compelling case within the organization for the need to establish an operating reserve
- provide factors to take into consideration in determining the size of the operating reserve for their organizations
- suggest practices for managing the reserve and reporting its balance
- offer some tools with which to go about drafting a policy to record decisions
Free to League members; available on-demand. Register here >>
Ready to Think SMART?
We are not currently accepting applications for SMART. The information below is for reference only.
Inspired by Beyond Breakeven: Why Capitalization Matters and Beyond Breakeven 2.0, SMART (Strategy and Money Alignment Readiness Tool) will help your orchestra focus on connections between money, strategy and risk. Designed for and tested by League members in groups 2 through 8, SMART will be most useful if you’re thinking about how to:
- Focus on long-term sustainability
- Manage expansion or contraction
- Address structural deficits
- Undertake a capital campaign
- Respond to changing audience behavior
This no cost opportunity will help your orchestra broaden its understanding of capitalization and risk assessment, and includes the Strategy and Money Alignment Readiness Tool, as well as consultations with TDC.
You do not have to be a financial wizard to use SMART! With easy to understand instructions that align with your OSR, CDP, or financial statement, plus one-on-one support - participation in SMART is for orchestras ranging in size from group 2 to group 8! Currently, we are accepting only 40 League member orchestras into the SMART program. Participants must apply and will accepted on a first-come, first served basis.
Want to know more about SMART? Just click here.
The Operating Reserve Policy Toolkit is sponsored by the National Center for Charitable Statistics, Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy at the Urban Institute, and United Way Worldwide.
SMART was developed by the League of American Orchestras and TDC, thanks to the generous support of The Kresge Foundation.