NEA funding action
National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) grants awarded to orchestras, and NEA funds administered by state arts agencies, support projects that increase access to music in communities nationwide. NEA funding to orchestras also spurs critical giving from other sources like private foundations, corporations, and individual contributors. Congressional support for the NEA has strengthened in recent years, evidenced by incremental funding increases. Unfortunately, the NEA has never recovered from a 40 percent budget cut in FY96, and its programs are seriously under funded. Fully restoring funding for the NEA will, in turn, increase the capacity of orchestras to support arts education for children and adults, expand public access to performances, preserve great classical works, and nurture the creative endeavors of contemporary classical musicians, composers, and conductors.
Contacting Congress is simple and will make a difference. We have prepared an advocacy campaign with essential background, talking points, and a template letter for you to personalize your communication with policymakers. Please note that identical copies of your letter will go to both of your Senators and your Representative.
TAKE ACTION: NEA FUNDING
Support NEA Funding
- Orchestras sign letter to Chairman Black urging support for NEA in FY18 budget - May 9, 2017
- League Written Testimony to House Urges FY18 NEA Support - May 24, 2017
- 40 Senators Express Support for NEA and NEH in FY18 – March 31, 2017
- Congressional Arts Caucus Letter With 154 Members Urge Support NEA – March 30, 2017
- Senators Urge President Trump to Support NEA and NEH – February 15, 2017
- 149 U.S. House members and 33 U.S. Senators call for support for FY17 NEA funding
- USUO President & CEO Melia Tourangeau Asks U.S. House Subcommittee for FY16 NEA Support – March 18, 2015
- U.S. House Congressional Arts Caucus Calls for Increased Funding for NEA in FY16 – March 18, 2015
- 134 Congressional Representatives and 29 Senators Sign Letters in Support of FY15 NEA Funding
- League Joins Push to Protect NEA in Budget Talks
- White House Issues Veto Threat Objecting to House Cuts to NEA